Drivers And Operating Systems
Certain ACCES cards don't depend on the operating system and software. Our Remote ACCES line, including any device that connects to the computer via RS232, RS422, or RS485, our Ethernet attached Data Acquisition Systems, and external adapters like the CONV232/485 can be used with any operating system.
Microsoft Operating Systems
- All ACCES cards, except for USB products, have support for DOS, and Windows versions from 3.1 through XP and beyond.
- All ACCES USB products have support for Windows versions including 98SE / Me / 2000 / XP / Vista and beyond.
- A full function driver is provided for our watchdog (WDG-CSM and PCI-WDG-CSM) cards in Windows. It provides functions to start watchdog protection with a specific timeout, pet the watchdog, and cancel watchdog protection, and it can handle the "last-chance" IRQ by notifying the application or issuing a "soft" system shutdown, to prevent loss of data in case of a "shallow" lockup.
- All ACCES cards can be accessed directly under Windows using ACCES32, AIOWDM, and/or AIOUSB, which provide the power and flexibility of register-level control in a Win32 environment.
Linux, Etc. Operating Systems
- ACCES COM cards are based on a standard 16550 UART, similar to the UARTs on motherboard COM ports, and can run under the same drivers. Under Linux, our pcifind.plx PERL script can be used to find what base address and IRQ have been assigned to a PCI card, while our ISA cards can be configured to an arbitrary ISA address and IRQ and can thus also install as one of the standard four COM ports. Our Configuring Serial Ports for Linux page describes this process in detail; it's also provided on our CD.
- All ACCES cards can be accessed directly under Linux using portio, which provides the power and flexibility of register-level control in a Linux environment. portio uses a kernel module to achieve this access from any user level, but we also document the use of ioperm() and the I/O functions from <sys/io.h>, which allows programs run as superuser or root to do this without any additional drivers or code modules in the system..
- ACCES provides Linux samples for a number of cards, and instructions for converting our vast DOS C/C++ sample code library to Linux.
- Linux has many variants, distributions, kernels, and platforms. ACCES cannot guarantee the software on our CD will automatically work with the latest or oddest flavors out there -- but we do commit to supporting you. If you find you can't get our existing code working in your specific Linux distribution, simply call, and we'll work diligently with you to resolve the issue.
Other Operating Systems
- ACCES COM cards can be used under any operating system for the same reason they work under Linux: they're based on a standard 16550 UART.
- We fully support direct register-level control, the basis of adaptation to any new environment, with manual documentation, samples, and helpdesk support. If you've got a programmer for the high-powered operating system of your choice, we can show them how to use the card. Additionally, the existing source code for every piece of software ACCES provides is available to support your custom development efforts to the fullest.
Third-Party Software Suites
- ACCES provides specific drivers for a number of cards in LabVIEW, MATLAB, and others. Please inquire for details..
- ACCES COM cards can be used under such suites for the same reason they work under Linux: they're based on a standard 16550 UART.
- Many ACCES cards use other standard chips, like the 8255 digital I/O chip or the 8254 counter/timer chip, and can take advantage of standard drivers for these chips.
- Register-level support in the suite and/or the ability to use ACCES32 allows the use of all ACCES cards via direct register-level control, which we fully support.
More Software Information:
Setup Programs, Samples, And Utility Software
- A description of the software package that comes with each ACCES card.
Redistributing Windows Drivers
- A list of ACCES drivers and the files that compose them under different versions of Windows, so you can easily redistribute ACCES cards and drivers.
Custom Software Services
- A description of some of our custom software offerings. Did you know we offer free programming services to qualifying customers?